The aim of the Shorts to Features scheme is to provide an opportunity for emerging creative teams to create a live action or documentary short film which is tonally and thematically aligned with their feature film ambitions.
Northern Ireland resident creative teams are invited to submit a live action or documentary feature film script at first draft or beyond. Applicants must also submit two short film ideas which will be developed through a series of development meetings in conjunction with Northern Ireland Screen’s Script Consultant and Short Film Executive.
Up to four creative teams will be selected to participate in the development process. The development work will take place between June 2015 and February 2016 with meetings every two months. All participants must make themselves available for every meeting. At the end of the development process Northern Ireland Screen will select up to three short films to go into production with a budgets of up to £20,000. The developed short film script will remain the property of the creative team.
A team is eligible to apply if they can collectively answer yes to these statements:
1. The nominated director has directed two or more short films financed by public film funds or national broadcasters.
2. The producer has produced three short films or has a strong track record in the development of scripted television.
For Live action projects;
3. The writer is in development with Northern Ireland Screen on their first feature project and Northern Ireland Screen believes it is ready to attract finance.
Parties that fulfil the above criteria should contact Northern Ireland Screen’s Short Film Executive, Christine Morrow, to discuss their projects. Evidence of how you fulfil the criteria will be required.
To apply to the Shorts to Features 2015-16 scheme applicants must submit the following
- A completed application form.
- Up to three outlines of short film ideas that tonally and thematically aligned with their feature film ambitions (no more than one A4 page per outline please).
- The feature script they currently have in development with a UK or Irish national screen agency or a national broadcaster.
- Current CV’s with the contact details of two industry referees for each member of the creative team.
- A completed monitoring form.
Representatives of Northern Ireland Screen will assess your application based on the following criteria:
- The merits of the short film ideas submitted and how they tonally and thematically aligned with the teams feature film ambitions.
- Strength of CV and references from referees.
- Suitability of the scheme for the applicant, i.e. how the team’s careers will benefit from Shorts to Features 2015-16.
- The applicants’ demonstration of a long term commitment to their career as a team.
For application queries please contact Christine via email: email@example.com
Send all pages of the completed application form, along with all required application materials to:
Shorts to Features 2015-16
Northern Ireland Screen
3rd Floor, Alfred House
21 Alfred Street
Deadline for applications: 1700hrs, Friday 1st May 2015
For more information, or to download an application, visit Northern Ireland Screen