Northern Ireland Screen seeks applications to develop feature documentaries that will deliver unique visions and voices on universal stories from Northern Ireland resident filmmakers.
It is anticipated that this will be the only call in 2016-17 for feature documentary development. Once the call is closed there will be limited funding available for feature documentary development.
Priority will be given to:
- Northern Ireland based production companies. For the avoidance of doubt 'Northern Ireland based production companies' in this context means a company with an existing substantive production base within Northern Ireland.
- Projects that can demonstrate serious interest from a national or international broadcaster or sales agent. Priority will be given to projects that have international distribution interest rather than projects picked up for only the UK and Ireland.
The closing date for receipt of applications and ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION is Friday, July 1 2016.
Before submitting an application please read the Feature Documentary Development guidelines available in the media and downloads section. Key terms of the Feature Documentary Scheme:
- It is anticipated that this will be the only call in 2016-17 for feature documentary development. Once the call is closed there will be limited funding available for feature documentary development.
- The successful projects will deliver unique visions and voices on universal stories from Northern Ireland resident filmmakers.
- There is no prescribed duration. Northern Ireland Screen will consider a broadcast hour, feature length projects and may, if the rational is compelling, consider two-parters or mini-series. Nothing will be automatically excluded on duration.
- This is a development call; projects that are already in production are not eligible.
- Successful applicants are expected to deliver a taster tape at the end of the development period.
- The intention is for supported projects to submit completed taster tapes to Hot Docs, IDFA and other leading documentary festivals.
- The maximum amount that can be requested is £7,500 based on a budget of £10,000. Northern Ireland Screen’s contribution cannot exceed 75% of the budget.
- Applications must be submitted online by Friday 1st July 2016.
Pre-application meetings with Head of Production, Andrew Reid are strongly encouraged, as is early application. To arrange a pre-application meeting or to request an application form please email Funding Executive, Marian Clark de Monreal or call 028 90 232 444.
- Complete an online application form. Please ensure that all supporting documentation is submitted either online with your application or via email to Marian. Failure to provide the requested supporting documentation will result in your application being eliminated from the feature documentary development call.
In addition to the general required supporting documentation as listed on the online application applicants should submit:
- A one page synopsis of the project
- A treatment that includes:
- Names of confirmed contributors that are attached to the project
- The treatment must be submitted electronically. The treatment cover page MUST have the project title, the company’s name and full contact details including email address clearly on it
- A company biography and CVs of the creative team
- A letter of serious interest from a national or international broadcaster or sales agent if applicable. Please note that priority will be given to projects that can demonstrate serious interest from a national or international broadcaster or sales agent:
- Letters from broadcasters should reference the project, potential audience, potential channel and if applicable the specific strand that the project would fit within;
- Letters from sales agents should reference the project, details of potential sales and key territories